- The UK Manufacturing UK LTD is facing an array of issues that require a sound understanding: Management Decision Making Assignment, USM, UK
- Identify sources of information and guidance about how to support a child or young person: child care diploma level 3 Course Work, OU, UK
- Explain why it is important to take full account of a child or young person’s level of understanding: Child care diploma level 3 Course Work, OU, UK
- Understand how to support children and young people who have experienced harm or abuse: child care diploma level 3 Course Work, OU, UK
- The purpose of this assignment is for you to demonstrate your understanding: Understand the Market in which an organisation operates Course Work, UK
- Facebook continues to face major ethical and legal challenges. What challenges Facebook brand is facing today: Marketing Course Work, UOL, UK
- Explain the work and service Cambridge Analytica provided Trump’s campaign: Marketing Course Work, UOL, UK
- Write up and return a report on what you have done and what you have found out. Aim – why was this investigation carried out?: IFP CHEMISTRY Lab Assignment, UK
- AC502 Assess what is meant by an integrated health and social care system: L5 Adult Care Course Work, BCU, UK
- Assess how services are commissioned, procured, and funded: Decision-Making and Managing Resources and Businesses in Care Settings Course Work, BCU, UK
- Analyse legislation, policy, and practices underpinning safe and fair recruitment: Decision-Making and Managing Resources and Businesses in Care Settings Course Work, BCU, UK
- AC502 Evaluate how own and others’ values and priorities influence decision-making processes: Decision-Making and Managing Resources and Businesses in Care Settings Course Work, BCU, UK
- AC502 Analyse the role of data, information, and intelligence in making evidence-based decisions to improve quality: Decision-Making and Managing Resources and Businesses in Care Settings Course Work, BCU, UK
- IF6101 This module is designed to prepare students for study in third-level programmes involving mathematics: Mathematics Course Work, UOL, UK
- STAT4002 It was claimed that 60% of people wanted a regulation to ban mobile phone usage on public transport: foundation maths Course Work, UO, UK
- The Environment Protection Agency has developed a testing programme to monitor petrol vehicle emission: foundation maths Course Work, UO, UK
- Do you agree with this sentence? “If something has a probability of 0.7 it can be expected: foundation maths Course Work, UO, UK
- Describe the type of each of the following variables. i. Pulse 1 ii. Ran iii. Activity: foundation maths Course Work, UO, UK
- For this assessment, you are required to produce a 3000-word research briefing, which addresses the following topic: Criminology Coursework, UCL, UK
- COS5028-B Investigate UCI’s “Solar Flare Dataset” to have basic understanding of their significance and meaning: Artificial Intelligence Coursework, UOB, UK
The initial part of the coursework is a series of small exercises to compare the FEM analysis with theoretical results for problems: Soil-Structure Interaction Coursework, UOB, UK
|University of Bristol (UOB)
The initial part of the coursework is a series of small exercises to compare the FEM analysis with theoretical results for problems for which the solution is known (see note 1). You should explore the influence of mesh refinement, boundary proximity and boundary fixities as well as loading configuration. If you wish, you may work in a small team and share some results – but please make it clear in your report what is the work of others.
To start with exploring the load-settlement behaviour of a 2-metre wide strip and a 2-metre diameter circular foundation. Each rests on a stratum of stiff clay over bedrock.
Do You Need Assignment of This Question
(i) Undrained bearing capacity
First, calculate by hand the ultimate bearing capacity of a 2-metre wide strip and circular foundations bearing on the surface of stiff clay with soil parameters (design values) shown below. Look up the values of Nc
for a strip and a circular foundation.
Then set up a plane-strain analysis (with 15-node elements) to model the problem below.
You should model one half of the problem in Plaxis as shown above. The left-hand side of the diagram is an axis of symmetry, and horizontal restraints should be introduced on the two vertical boundaries and vertical and horizontal restraints along the base (default fixities – see note 2). Where the foundation is modelled as a plate explicitly includes a moment restraint on
the centreline (see note 2). Make sure that the mesh is fine enough close to the foundation by refining it several times (refine line or refine point – see note 3) making a note of the number of elements it contains.
Model the soil as an undrained (B) Mohr-Coulomb material, with undrained strength parameters, but using drained stiffness parameters. (Plaxis will convert the stiffness to undrained values).
Model the loading in three ways:
a) apply a vertical displacement of 0.2m (save file e.g. strip1.plx)
b) apply vertical stress of 1000 kPa (save file e.g. strip2.plx) – NB failure should occur
c) include a plate to model a concrete foundation 0.75m thick, again with vertical stress of 1000 kPa (E = 2.4 107 kPa) – (save file e.g. strip3.plx)
(ii) Drained bearing capacity
Repeat the exercise using drained strength parameters. This time place the loading/plate at 0.75m depth to represent a concrete foundation; this is to avoid local bearing capacity failure at the edge of the foundation. Again, look up the values of Nc, Ny and Nq. Compare the results of the FE analysis with your hand calculations. How good is the agreement? See the paper by
Bolton and Lau on Blackboard.
(iii) Settlement analysis
For a flexible strip foundation of width 2m at the surface calculate the settlement at working load (say 150 kPa) using a theoretical solution [e.g. p= (q B /E) x Ip] – see chapter 14 in Lambe and Whitman on Blackboard.
Buy Answer of This Assessment & Raise Your Grades
Get coursework writing help on Soil-Structure Interaction from Students Assignment Help UK.our writers are highly experienced to provide hnd assignment solutions, cipd assignment help, HNC assignment, etc at a cheap price.